Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I heard an interesting thing on the radio yesterday. A lady being interviewed about her book (sorry all I can remember is the subtitle: The worlds worst Buddhist) said "your mind and your heart can deceive you but your body will never lie to you." It is spring in the Heart of America. It is coming on faster than I keep up with. I tend to think of winter as a resting season.
A time when we would be in caves and sleep allot. A season of planning an visualizing what we'll do in spring and summer. The productive seasons. But my life is not lived by the character and intent of the seasons, and so winter is as much work as any other time. My mind says this is ok. But my body is telling me, You know, you didn't rest enough, and now you are facing longer days and bigger plans. It occurs to me that this economic situation, whether real or imagined, impacts me. I live by my hands and my back and get work much in the way the native Americans got meat. It is there or it isn't. There's a Buffalo to take down or there is not. I am still fortunate to have a few Buffalo to take down (basement remodels, cabinet making jobs) but I find I am putting off that "slowing down a bit" that I thought I might try a while ago. It makes sense to work even harder while I still have work. Still, yesterday I felt a twinge of the kind of melancholy that I usually feel at the fist hints of winter. And I think it was my body saying that I missed the time to rest.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Randy:

Yes, I think you're right about that rhythm of rest & activity, & perhaps part of the anxiety of each seasonal change is the feeling we didn't participate quite fully in the preceding one.

It appears the book you mentioned might be Seeking Peace: Chronicles of the Worst Buddhist in the World by Mary Pipher.