Wednesday, July 15, 2009


Little stuff

My blog is broken. Seems I’ve lost my cookies. Thanks to those who looked into it for me. That was amazingly nice and generous. Seems I have to just wait for the magic computer fairies to fix it.

Concerning. the guitar obsession. Got a call to look at a job a couple days ago. Had been looking for a guitar. Actually thought on the way to this person’s house that they might have a guitar for sale. You have thoughts like that when you are obsessing. He did have guitars. Turns out he, like me, is just learning how to play. So of course we talked a little. He was excited to share what he is learning and was going to send me some email links for chord progression sheets. I just thought that was a funny little “coincidence” thing.

The next day on my way to work I stopped at a pawn shop. Don’t usually have much luck in pawn shops. I had been shopping guitars via Craig’s list, eBay, musicians friend, Guitar Center, Amazon …, so knew what stuff was going for. There was a beautiful guitar, sitting there all by itself on the floor. It was marked at $300.00. Which seemed about right for what it was. Consistent with what I had been seeing. It was very nice, but I wasn’t going to spend that much. I did something I have learned to do. Asked if that price was fixed. The guy says he would take a hundred off that price. Ok, so I start looking over the guitar a little more closely. Looking for warp or twist in the neck, cracks, damage, set up, ect. Plugged it in and checked out the electronics. It was perfect. Beautiful and in great shape. So I offered $175.00 and he said sold. It was just one of those things that seemed set up some how. By the way, if you know from first hand knowledge, that I was actually ripped off, don’t tell me. I am enjoying thinking I got a good deal and something I really like.

Be well friends

2 comments:

John J. Franks IV said...

Randy,

Looks Like after 30 + years you finally learned sumtin from me eh? :)

Bartering, Bargaining, and Hustling. I have been a plethora of useful skills for your enjoyment/use....

I assume it is a Les Paul Copy providing the pic is the same guitar.

The price tells me it is not likely a Gibson. Looks cool! Hope you have fun with it.

I miss My gitfiddle.

John

Unknown said...

Great job on the haggling. There is a lot to be said for the sound of the true hollowbody, & as you mentioned in a comment on another post, the fact that it can be played acoustically & still produce sound is nice.