Monday, August 29, 2016

I read exactly two books before I graduated from high school.  (I know.  It’s unbelievable, but true).  O
I read exactly two books before I graduated from high school.  (I know.  It’s unbelievable, but true).  One was called the “Cycle Jumpers” and it was about my hero Evel Knievel; (and some other lesser characters).  I was bribed to read it; told I could go see the man when he came to Albuquerque if I did.   I did and we tried, but we were too late.  They sold all the tickets.  But My Dad and I walked along a fence and we found a hole and through it I saw one of the enduring impressions of my life.  Evel Knievel himself, on some funked up Harley, doing a wheelie down the length of the drag strip.  That is all I needed.  It filled me.  The next book I read was the screenplay for the movie, Young Frankenstein.  I had it in my head I wanted to see this movie.  My dad bribed me again that if I read the book he would bring me.  I did, he did, and it was fantastic.  Lots of things are “fantastic”, “awesome”, “unforgettable”, but some things catch you at just the right time.  Young Frankenstein caught me at the perfect time.  Today I was truly sad to hear the news that Gene Wilder passed.  He was awesome.  Beautiful.  Beautiful….

No comments: